Labor Day in the Big D

This past weekend the Torres Clan headed to Dallas to visit family and so that I could attend a bridal shower and bachelorette party for my best friend from high school, Asia, and her awesome fiancee Jason. The shower was great, but I did have to bail quite early on the bachelorette party.  Like right after dinner early.  Preggo + exhaustion from the 3 hour drive that AM = most likely no fun at a bach party.  But dinner was great, and it was great to meet some of Asia’s other friends and see some old friends again, especially my girl.

The happy couple at Manny’s Uptown Tex Mex.  Yum.

Sunday we made an impromptu decision to skip the girls’ AM nap and take them out to White Rock Lake to try and feed some ducks.  When I was about 3, my Mimi took my sister and me to the same lake to feed ducks, and a photographer there took my photo, which was published in the paper the next day!  I figured there wouldn’t be any paparazzi there, but it would be fun all the same.  But, alas, no ducks, so we hopped on over the the nearby Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens.  The flowers were gorgeous as usual, and I only wish we had more time to spend there. 

The girls loved this fountain with 4 huge frogs in the corners that spit water into the center.  Claire took one look at the fountain and made a mad dash for the water streams.  Needless to say, the other fountain patrons found this hilarious.

 Rachel thought it was funny to stand at the edge and let the water splash up on her.  But it wasn’t long before she was taking tips from Claire.

Claire having fun making the water stream splash herself and Daddy.

A nice walk through down the avenue after cooling off in the fountain. Both of them were soaked.
Rachel took advantage of an opportunity to stretch her legs and run down the pathway.

Claire found some flowers that matched her shirt!

Monday we headed back home.  After skipping AM naps again, we were hoping that the girls would sleep most of the drive.  While they both fell asleep less than 5 minutes after we left, it unfortunately didn’t last.  Rachel woke up after a measly 30 minutes, and Claire after an hour, and when you had no morning nap, that is NOT enough time.  So the rest of the drive resulted in cranky, overtired babies who couldn’t go back to sleep, didn’t want to play with any toys or books, and desperately wanted to get out of those car seats.  So after finally arriving home, it was dinner, baths, and in bed by 5:45.  By 5:46 I was collapsed on the couch.

We had a great time!  Thanks to Nana, Grandpa, Aunt Lori, and Devon for helping us entertain the girls, and huge thanks to Mimi and Pop again for letting us take over their house for the weekend!

Join the Conversation


  1. We had such a good time sweetie!! It was so great to see you guys and the girls!! Can't wait to see you again next month. You better be careful, you could spoil us with these monthly visits!! LOL!! Love you all!!

  2. The girls are growing so fast, and such fast learners. Will be waiting in anticipation for the visit during the wedding next month.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *