THINGS THAT ARE GOOD
• I’ve had 1.5 glasses of wine, AKA “typing is hard right now.”
• My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are visiting for Christmas. It’s hectic and crazy, but the good kind of hectic and crazy. And my kids keep calling their aunt Maddie or Michelle or Jenny, but her name is in fact Jessica. Names are hard.
• I have new floors! And new baseboards! I feel like I live in a whole new house! Or at least half of one, because we still have the old 80s carpet in the bedrooms and the old 80s tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. We will get there. Someday.
• We’re watching Elf. “I like to whisper too!”
• It’s almost Christmas! As a kid I never saw the appeal of Christmas as an adult. Adults got boring gifts: clothes, gadgets, socks. I remember one year my dad saying that experiencing Christmas through your children made it magical again. And he was right.
I got to visit all of my kids’ holiday parties at school this year. Rachel and Claire’s classes each did a play, and then got to crash Zoe’s party in the kindergarten hall. It was loud and overwhelming and hilarious and the perfect end to the first semester.
• I’m calm. I feel in control of my emotions and my moods and my reactions. This is a big deal for me, the over-reacter and over-emotional and slightly snippy person.
• Christmas cookies.
THINGS THAT COULD USE IMPROVEMENT
• My cats are annoying as hell. Tiger is going deaf, he peed on Rachel’s backpack this morning, and Buffy throws up constantly. The one thing they don’t do is mess with the Christmas tree. Tiger can only eat canned food and is sitting next to my computer as I type, waiting for his dinner. Then Buffy will also go eat some of that dinner and throw up right in the dish. If I gave the word, Christian would have those cats gone in a heartbeat, but I feel like there’s a lesson here, a lesson of “we took these animals in, and we have to care for them until they die or try to kill us.” It’s unclear which will happen first.
• The floor guys didn’t do actual transitions from laminate to carpet, so we have carpet flaps hanging out of each bedroom. It’s ghetto but I can’t real care about that one bit because NEW FLOORS NEW HOUSE FA LA LA LA LAAAAA LA LA LA LA.
• I’m still having a really hard time typing.
• We went to a funeral today. I’m grateful my MIL and SIL could watch our kids so we could go to celebrate our friend’s mother’s life. But at the same time, I hate seeing my loved ones hurting.
• Between Christmas and work and life, I’m crazy busy. I do not like being crazy busy. You know those people who work full time and bake and create and do extracurricular stuff and send immaculate Christmas cards a month in advance and host parties and do all the things? I am not one of those people. I am a low energy introvert who needs not just her down time, but her me time. Right now I’m not getting much of either, and it makes me very anxious. Also we couldn’t find anything to wear to the funeral today because I hadn’t done the laundry.
• Christmas cookies. I feel like I don’t want to look at another Christmas cookie as long as I live, but then I remembered I forgot to make spritz cookies, so NOM NOM NOM here we go! Also, I made a shitton of cookies for my dad’s annual birthday/Christmas delivery, but I don’t think they’re going to get shipped off. (Because we will eat them all before I get to the post office.)
I wish all of you the merriest of Christmases, and the happiest of New Years!